Position salary1700 Eur gross monthly
Senior Backend Engineer - Storage
About The Role:
Uber has become an integral part of people’s lives and it is critical that the systems that power the platform are always available to everybody in the world. Uber continues to expand into new cities and its growth and popularity present interesting challenges for managing the change in scale with the pace of innovation. We are looking for engineers that are able to apply the principles and discipline of robust distributed systems to solve operational challenges, while enhancing developer productivity and maintaining operational simplicity.
Our systems are active across multiple physical data centers and multiple cloud providers. We tackle the many challenges that come with Uber’s massive scale.
You will be part of a team of engineers with a healthy mix of systems and software engineering skills, executing in a fast paced environment. If you love working on software products that touch the physical world and want some serious experience under exponential growth conditions, you should definitely join our awesome team.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more.
What You’ll Do:
· Be part of a team responsible for a critical part of Uber’s Infrastructure.
· Participate in designing and implementing product architecture.
· Develop tooling to manage a fleet of structured databases.
· Ensure SLA’s for your services.
· Collaborate with others, both from Storage and from application engineering teams, to ensure that the infrastructure we’re building works seamlessly across storage backends and best serves application engineers.
· Mentor more junior engineers, guiding their work and supporting their professional development.
What You’ll Need:
· BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline. Equivalent practical experience is a reasonable substitute.
· Good programming skills and an interest to pick up new ones. We currently use Go, Java, C/C++, and Python.
· Linux knowledge and a good understanding of its fundamentals and internals: kernel, filesystems, modern memory management, threads and processes, the user/kernel-space divide, network stack, etc.
· Understanding of service monitoring and alerting.
· A good understanding of large-scale distributed systems.
Bonus Points If You Have:
· Experience in both scalable storage and developer tooling.
· Experience building systems used by a large number (1000s) of engineers, whether internal or external.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.